Rumours of takeovers and mergers continue amongst UK Bookmakers.....
- Ladbrokes and Coral open talks on a merger (a Ladbrokes £363m takeover move blocked in 1998 by then Sec for Trade & Industry Peter Mandleson)
- Ladbrokes to close 60 stores this year.....to add to the 89 closures last year after a drop in operating profit of 9.3%
- William Hill closed 109 stores last year
- William Hill are the largest UK Bookmaker - 57% of group revenue comes through retail - they have 2,360 of the total 9,000 stores in the UK employing 12,500 people.
- Coaltion relaxed planning laws in 2013 only for this to be overturned prior to the last election
- Government also introduced a 20% tax in 2014 on gambling machines.........a tax that has recently jumped to 25% this year in the pre-election Budget